They say you are as good as the tools you use.
When you are looking for the best headphones for mowing the lawn, you should go for pieces that are durable, comfortable, affordable, and provide you with enough noise isolation.
Thankfully, there are plenty of these noise-canceling headphones in the market you can go with.
Do noise-cancelling headphones work for lawn mowing?
If you are wondering, do noise-cancelling headphones work for lawn mowing?
Yes, noise canceling provide you with enough noise protection when lawn mowing.
In fact, they are one of the best you can try out.
Many homeowners have the impression the lawnmower is too loud that headphones won’t be effective.
Others worry the headphones will block most of the noise they won’t hear when the lawnmower develops a problem, so they end up damaging the lawnmower or hurting themselves.
Let’s think about this for a moment. What is the worst that can happen when mowing?
The lawnmower can sputter as it’s grinding to a halt due to choking on grass or when it runs out of fuel. If you are thinking like me, this isn’t dangerous at all, is it?
That aside, noise-cancelling headphones are completely safe to use when mowing, as you will mildly hear the lawnmower, so you can tell when it changes its sound.
You can also hear when someone is calling or speaking to you.
Should you buy earbuds or over-ear headphones?
This is a genuine concern, especially if you have never bought the pieces before. I will tell you the pros and cons of each, and it’s up to you to choose the ones you like the most.
Over-ear headphones are large, and when you wear them for a long time or when it’s hot, they tend to get too hot.
If you sweat like me, it can be too hot for you when mowing the lawn.
While this is the case, the pieces cover your ear entirely, thus ensuring no air or sound gets in.
This protects you from the sound coming from the lawnmower; thus, you mow in peace.
Earbuds are small and don’t make you sweat even when you wear them even for a long time.
Their only flaw is they do less for sound isolation. This is because they don’t cover your ear completely.
In my opinion, you should always go for over-ear headphones.
While they will be hot to wear, they will provide you with the noise protection you are looking for when mowing.
Should you invest in Bluetooth headphones?
As a radio lover, the last thing you want is a cord pulling out your earbuds when working.
Most earbuds are made in one size, and when there is a cord pulling them, they tend to keep coming off, especially when they don’t fit properly.
Bluetooth technology makes it possible to listen to your favorite station when mowing without worrying about cords.
So to answer your question, yes, you should definitely go for Bluetooth headphones when mowing. In fact, they make the best pieces to go for as you have no cables to deal with.
Best Headphones For Mowing The Lawn: Top Picks
Best Bluetooth headphones for mowing
- Communication Direction: Two-Way
- Bluetooth Technology Lets You Seamlessly Stream Entertainment From Your Mobile Phone And Any Other Bluetooth Enabled Device.
- High-Fidelity Speakers Provide Premium Sound Quality
Last update on 2022-05-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
With a noise reduction rating of 24 dB (NRR), you can bet these yard work headphones will give you the noise isolation you need when cutting grass.
Days are gone when you had to struggle with cables. 3M worktunes have a powerful Bluetooth technology that allows you to stream music seamlessly from your mobile phone, tablet, computer, or any other device.
The cord and antenna-free design allow you to move around smoothly when working.
Do you love listening to music when mowing? You are in for a treat.
3M worktunes feature high fidelity speakers that give you one of a kind experience.
Weighing only 10.7 ounces, these are some of the lightest mowing headphones on the market.
The soft, comfortable ear cushions plus the flexible headband make the headphones extremely comfortable so you can be on your feet for hours with no ear discomfort.
The headphones are made from high-quality plastic that can take the beating of any outdoor weather. This makes them one of the best headphones for outdoor work.
The tough nature of 3m worktunes also gives you peace of mind that they will last long without any issues.
What I like about these headphones
- Very comfortable: I have a large lawn that takes me hours to mow. This means I have to be wearing headphones for hours. I have never had any discomfort. In fact, I forget I’m wearing the pieces.
- Radio: I’m not a radio guy, but I like listening to my favorite radio station when mowing from time to time. I like that 3M worktunes connect easily to the phone, tablet, or other devices via Bluetooth. The cool thing is you get to listen to the radio and block most of the noise from lawnmowers.
- Durability: Who wants to keep going to the stores to buy new pieces now and then? Not me. 3M worktunes are made from high-quality, durable plastic that can last for years when you take good care of it. The only thing you need to do regularly is to change the headphone cushions.
What I don’t like
- The lack of the volume control feature on the headphones makes it an inconvenience as you have to control the volume from the phone or tablet. 3M seriously needs to look into this.
- Unlike other hearing protection devices I own, I’ve noticed that these pieces exhaust the battery too fast, which causes a lot of inconveniences when listening to the radio. In my case, the batteries drain in less than two hours.
- If you have a large lawn, you will have to recharge or replace the batteries to continue listening to the radio. The good thing is the batteries recharge fast.
Do you think the headphones will give you the noise protection you are looking for?
- Ergonomic headband with soft padding reduces the pressure on your head for superior comfort. Generous space inside the ear cups ensure breathability meanwhile soft imitation leather provides a tight sound-proof seal
- Constructed by solid ABS-shell and thickened noise-dampening foam, the ear muffs offer a NRR 28dB rating and block out noise by a great amount, ANSI S3.19 (US) certified
- Adjustable headband and 360 rotatable ear cups with comfortable foam can be adjusted to fit most sizes from kids to adults (pull / push the earmuffs from the metal string to adjust the size)
Last update on 2022-05-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
To be honest I didn’t expect much from these headphones as they have to be the lowliest priced headphones I have come across.
Despite the low price, I was pleasantly surprised to realize that the headphones can drown most lawnmower noise.
Although the ear cups aren’t made from real leather, they provide a tight sound seal that blocks out maximum sound.
The other thing that surprised me is how comfortable the headphones are. If you thought you have to pay a premium for comfort, think again.
The Ergonomic headband with soft padding significantly reduces the pressure on your head, ensuring that you are comfortable when working.
The headband is adjustable and together with the 360 rotatable ear cups, they make it possible to the right fit for your head regardless of your head size.
We can keep talking about these headphones and you will never hear the end of it. So,
Bose noise-canceling headphones for lawn mowing
- Noise cancelling wireless headphones – The perfect balance of quiet, comfort, and sound. Bose uses tiny mics to measure, compare, and react to outside noise, cancelling it with opposite signals.
- High-fidelity audio – The TriPort acoustic architecture offers depth and fullness. Volume-optimized Active EQ maintains balanced performance at any volume, so bass stays consistent when turned down and the music remains clear when turned up.
- Quiet and Aware Modes – Choose Quiet Mode for full noise cancelling, or Aware Mode to bring the outside into the around ear headphones and hear your environment and your music at the same time.
Last update on 2022-05-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Bose QC 45 takes after its predecessor Bose QC 35, which was the company’s bestseller for years. Backed by over 50 years of research, the QC 45 headphones are the epitome of quiet, comfort, and sound.
The headphones look almost as similar to the QC 35. In fact, if you aren’t keen, you can’t tell the difference.
Absolutely amazing. I can say they are one of the top five best noise-canceling headphones I have ever used.
Bose maintains its quality build, and you can feel it even by simply holding the units.
The headphones are lightweight, so if you are used to heavier headphones such as Sony headphones, you might have the impression that the headphones are poor quality, but this isn’t the case.
The lightweight nature works to your advantage if you are using the headphones for lawn mowing, as you don’t strain too much, especially if you have a large lawn.
The plastic is good quality, so you don’t have to worry about them getting damaged after a few uses.
When it comes to the padding material, it’s not as rigid as you will find in Sony XM4s or other high-end headphones, but it’s pretty well made and will last for a long time before you have to replace it.
I find the QC headphones extremely comfortable. Unlike other over-the-ear headphones I’ve owned before that you have to live with painful ears for a couple of days, you get used to these almost immediately.
I currently wear these headphones for hours at a go, and I don’t have pain in the ears.
One of the things I love the most about the headphones is the proper clicky buttons—no stupid touch-sensitive controls that often come in the way when you are wearing a hat or simply moving your hand.
Connect to more than one Bluetooth device so you can listen to music on your phone, computer, or tablet.
Good quality clicky buttons
No auto-pause feature: If you are used to Sony XM4 or any other premium brands, you are used to the music pausing once you remove the headphones from your head, then resume when you put them on.
Unfortunately, this feature doesn’t exist in the QC 45, which is quite a bummer.
Base not strong: If you love listening to your music with a strong base, these might not be your headphones as the base isn’t that strong.
The cool thing is that the sound is quite smooth, and you can listen to music for a long time due to how exciting it sounds.
I can hear almost all details in the sounds, almost as if I’m listening to apple’s AirPods max.
They are middle of the road, okay. If you aim to block the lawnmower noise, they are perfect for that, but if you are an audio nerd and love mowing with the music at full blast, the base might disappoint.
Best active noise-canceling headphones for lawn mowing.
- DIGITAL NOISE CANCELATION: Industry leading noise canceling eliminates distracting background noises
- SMART LISTENING: Quickly detects your activity to automatically adjust the ambient sounds you hear
- QUICK ATTENTION MODE: Cover the right ear cup to turn down your music for instant, easy conversation; Battery Charge Time: Approx. 4 hours
Last update on 2022-04-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
I will tell you right off the bat that if you are looking for noise-canceling headphones for mowing the lawn that will drown out all the lawnmower noise without music, these aren’t the ones. Look elsewhere.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a good pair of active noise-canceling headphones for mowing, you will love the Sony 1000XM2s.
Sony headphones have been around for a long time, and they have several awesome features that make them decent headphones for cutting grass and some of the best headphones for outdoor work.
These noise-canceling headphones for yard work have a smart atmospheric pressure optimizer that you can initiate by a physical button located on the left ear cup.
The button adjusts the level of active noise canceling depending on the seal of the headphones around your ear and current altitude.
To properly use the headphones, you need to download the Sony App and connect it to your device.
To control the tracks and volume, all you need to do is swipe your fingertip on the right ear cup, and you are good to go.
When it comes to comfort, the headphones aren’t as comfortable as Bose QC35, but they won’t strain your ears even when you wear them for long hours.
It takes me over 5 hours to mow my lawn, and every time I use them, I can’t remember I’m wearing headphones.
The headphones weigh slightly over 9 ounces, so you can wear them for long without worrying about straining your head.
Regarding durability, Sony is a reputable brand and has been around for a long time, and if it’s to live up to its reputation, expect these to give you a long service.
- Good sound quality
- Spectacular battery life
- Gorgeous look
- Sturdy design
What don’t I like?
- Not as comfortable as Bose QC35
- While the app is easy to use, it isn’t easy to connect to a device
- Expensive in my opinion
- They feel hot when you wear them for a while
Best Bluetooth radio headphones
- Reduce 29dB Noise- Effectively reduces outside noise and protects your ears from hazardous sound levels, soft PU leather headband fits all head sizes, super comfort. Say goodbye to boring and noise from now on
- Bluetooth & Hands -Free Calling - Built-in digital bluetooth and standard stereo jack cable for phone, mp3 player, hands-free calling. Seamlessly stream music from your mobile phones, tablet or other Bluetooth enabled devices. No need to take off the headset to answer the call.
- FM Digital Radio - The radio ear defender can scan radio stations frequency automatically , built-in antenna has high reception sensitivity and channel memory function for quick access to your favorite programs.
Last update on 2022-05-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
With a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 29 dB, these hearing protection devices protect your ears from the rumble of the lawnmower.
The noise cancellation is excellent, and you can only hear the mild rumbling of the lawnmower with the headphones on.
If you love listening to audiobooks when mowing, these headphones pair easily with your mobile phone, so you can have the time of your life when mowing.
The headphones also have an FM digital radio, you can easily scan and set your desired stations.
Whether you have a large or small yard, you need headphones for outdoor work that are comfortable, and these headphones give you that.
The headphones have a soft PU leather headband that easily fits the head, ensuring you are as comfortable as possible when mowing.
The hard plastic used in making the headphones gives you peace of mind the headphones for mowing the lawn won’t break easily even when you drop them.
The manufacturing company specifically designed these headphones for mowing, landscaping, construction work, and other extreme activities, so expect them to last long.
What do I like about these noise-cancelling headphones?
- Very comfortable
- Long battery life
- Pair easily with the phone, tablet, and other gadgets
- Excellent sound quality
What don’t I like?
- I wish they had a Bluetooth turn off feature to conserve power
- I didn’t like the scanner
- I wish there were a shuffle feature when using an SD card
While the headphones miss a few features that would enhance your listening experience, they provide premium noise-cancelling so you can mow your lawn in peace.
Wanna try them out?
Best Bluetooth earplug headphones
- BLOCK NOISE: heat-activated memory foam eartips expand like earplugs to significantly reduce outside noise. ISOtunes PRO hearing protection headphones are ANSI-certified and OSHA-compliant with a 27 dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) and ISOtunes SafeMax Technology. Comes with 4 pairs of foam eartips and 1 pair of silicone triple-flange eartips.
- WIRELESS MUSIC & CALLS: wirelessly play music and take calls 30+ feet from your device with Bluetooth 4.1 technology. Features high-fidelity speakers and aptX streaming audio.
- USE ALL DAY: 10+ hour battery life and 240-hour standby time gets you through long days without having to recharge. Custom-fit memory wires fold gently behind your ears to keep eartips securely in place during active and extended wear. Ultra-lightweight design stays comfortable all day.
Last update on 2022-05-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
They are one of the best Bluetooth headphones for mowing, and they are loved by many as they provide hearing protection and audio functionality at the same time. How cool is that?
According to the manufacturers, when you correctly insert the isotunes pro-Bluetooth earplug in your ear, you can reduce the external noise to up to 27 dB.
These pro-Bluetooth earplug headphones are also OSHA compliant and limit the in-ear playback volume to 85 dB.
This comes in handy at ensuring you don’t damage your hearing when listening to music.
The headphones feature Bluetooth 4.1 and are compatible with all Bluetooth-enabled devices.
Courtesy of the enhanced data rate feature of Bluetooth, you don’t have to worry about the pieces cutting out or garbling audio like other Bluetooth headphones in the market.
Pairing the headphones with your devices is a breeze
Hold the power button for a few seconds until you hear the pairing mode. Find the earbuds in your Bluetooth menu and pair them.
When it comes to comfort, the headphones are pretty decent. They have a custom-fit memory wire that conforms to the ear, giving you a stable fit.
The pieces also have heat-activated comply foam ear tips that provide superior comfort and durability.
The pieces are only 0.64 ounces; thus, you can wear them the entire day without complaining of exhaustion.
No one wants headphones that will come apart after a few uses, and these pieces won’t. These Bluetooth hearing protection devices are rated IPX4, which makes them sweat and splash-proof.
This dramatically increases their durability as they can handle the sweat that comes about when working.
You also don’t have to worry about damaging these headphones from outdoor work as they are tough and designed to handle extreme use.
- When you wear them correctly, they provide excellent noise reduction
- Decent audio quality
- Good and reliable phone connection.
- If you wear glasses like me, you don’t have to worry about the pieces interfering with them.
- It can be challenging to put them on, especially if you aren’t used to wearing them.
- I noticed that even the pieces with the smallest tips required you to put in a lot of pressure to insert them into the ear.
- If you use the wrong tips, the pieces can be painful
- They are more expensive than other pieces in the market
How do you get the most from your headphones?
The effectiveness of the headphones doesn’t come out of the blue—you work for it. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to do it. Some of these ways include:
Use the right headphones.
There is no way you will properly block the lawnmower noise when wearing the wrong noise-canceling headphones. Thankfully, you don’t need high-end headphones such as Shure Aonic 50.
While you don’t have to invest a lot of money on high-end pieces, you shouldn’t go for the incredibly cheap ones.
Besides these pieces failing to provide effective noise cancellation, they also wear out fast, so you have to replace them too often, which doesn’t make economic sense.
Pay attention to the noise reduction rating (NRR)
Also known as the hearing protection rating, NRR is an important feature to consider when buying headphones for mowing the lawn as it indicates how effective the headphones are at blocking lawnmower noise.
Higher NRR values indicate greater noise reduction and vice versa. When buying headphones for mowing, always aim to buy headphones with the highest NRR.
Most headphones and earplugs will have their NRR rating written on the box, but you should note that the figure given isn’t the hearing protection they provide.
To tell the headphone’s NRR, you need to do some math.
For example, if you are exposed to noise of up to 100 decibels and are wearing headphones with an NRR noise reduction rating of 30 decibels, the headphones won’t reduce the noise to 70 decibels. Instead, it will be lowered to 88.5 decibels.
As mentioned above, to arrive at this figure, you need to do some calculations that include:
- Subtract seven from the NRR number given in decibels
- Divide the result by two
- Subtract the result you get from the original noise exposure level in decibels.
Therefore, if we are to use the above example, it will be something like this:
30-7 = 23
23/2 = 11.5
100- 11.5 = 88.5 decibels.
To learn more about this, visit the OSHA website.
To ensure you buy headphones of the right NRR, consult a health and safety coordinator.
Even after buying the hearing protection devices, you should note that their effectiveness is as good as you wear them.
If using over-the-ear headphones, ensure they surround your ear and seal firmly against your skin.
If using earplugs, ensure the form or silicone tip is properly inserted to seal the ear canal.
Tip: If using earplugs, you should note that NRR rating may vary depending on the type of tip, so ensure you are using the right tip.
Create a snug fit
For effective noise cancellation, your headphones should properly cover your ears.
If you have over-ear headphones, a proper fit means the ear cups encircling your ears, leaving no gaps along with the ear pads.
To tell whether your work headphones have properly covered your ears, run your finger around the outside of each earpad and ensure there is no space between the pad and your head.
Adjust noise-canceling intensity
High-end headphones such as Sony give you the ability to adjust the noise-canceling intensity of the headphones.
Some headphones make it possible to cycle through the noise-canceling modes directly with the onboard controls, while most use apps.
You should carefully go through the different modes and adjust them according to your preferences.
Replace ear pads
If using cheap noise-cancelling headphones, chances are you have poor-quality ear pads. Thankfully, you can significantly improve the working of your headphones by simply replacing these ear pads.
You also should replace the ear pads in your premium headphones when you start noticing them wearing out. When you see a crack or tear on the leather, it’s time for new ear cushions.
In addition to replacing the earpads, increasing the efficiency of the headphones, it also increases their comfort so you can work in your yard comfortably. To increase the lifespan of ear pads, clean them regularly.
Does it make sense buying noise-cancelling Bluetooth headphones for lawn mowing?
If you are asking, are noise-canceling headphones good for mowing the lawn? Yes, they are good. In fact, they are some of the best ones you can go for.
While noise-canceling headphones are expensive at the start, they give a great experience. They allow you to listen to the radio comfortably without loss of audio quality.
Should you worry about the durability of the headphones?
Yes, you should. When buying the headphones, you aren’t only looking for headphones that provide noise reduction when mowing. You also want pieces that will last for a long time.
When buying lawn mowing headphones, you should note some headphones are designed for indoor use.
These are usually made from low-quality materials that can’t take the beating of outdoor work.
The best headphones for outdoor work are made from high-quality materials that can withstand the harsh outdoor environment.
In addition to the material, also pay attention to the headband. It should be flexible, and if the ear protection devices have a cable, the cable should be replaceable.
This way, you don’t have to replace the entire headphones when the cable breaks.
What about comfort? Should you pay attention to it?
If you have a large yard, the last thing you want are pieces that are hurting your ears the entire time.
To keep your ears healthy and comfortable, go for comfortable headphones with all the comfort features.
The pieces should have the right padding and be of the correct size.
While you are looking for comfortable pieces, you should note that you will sometimes have to tradeoff between comfort and sound isolation.
To get the highest noise reduction, you will sometimes have to go with tight protection units that might not be comfortable.
To tell whether the headphones you are buying are the right fit, always try them on.
When buying from your local store, put them on and work at achieving the tightest fitting possible.
If buying from Amazon or any other online store, try them on when you receive them. If they don’t fit properly, return them.
How much should you spend on the headphones for mowing?
The good thing is that most of the headphones on the market you can use for mowing and other outdoor activities are affordable.
Most headphones for cutting grass cost under $100. While this is the case, it doesn’t mean you have to buy dirt cheap pieces.
Remember, the cheaper the pieces, the faster they will come apart, which will cost you more in the long run as you have to keep on replacing them.
The cheap pieces also tend to fail, failing to give you the sound isolation you are looking for.
While you should avoid the cheap hearing protection pieces, it doesn’t mean you should go for the ultra-expensive pieces as they might not be worth it.
Remember, most of the expensive pieces are from popular brands, and you often end up paying for the brand name, and you don’t want that. Do you?
The best pieces to go are the mid-priced ones. You only need to ensure they are high quality and provide you with the protection you are looking for.
If you love listening to music when mowing the lawn, the headphones should have good sound quality.
So, which headphones should you buy for mowing the lawn?
When you are looking for the best headphones for mowing the lawn, there are plenty of them in the store you can buy.
You should buy hearing protection pieces made from high-quality materials so they can last for a long time.
The pieces should also be comfortable to wear. They should have the right foam padding, easy to adjust and be of the right size.
Do you love fashionable pieces? Pay close attention to your personality when making the purchase.
For example, if you are an outgoing person, go for pieces made from striking colors such as purple or bright blue.
If you don’t like attracting attention, go for black, dark green, or any other low-key color.
These are some of the best headphones for mowing grass that you can go for.
When buying ear protection pieces, always buy from a reputable store.
This way, you have a high chance of buying high-quality units made from high-quality materials and are comfortable to wear.
After buying the pieces, take good care of them. You don’t want to keep replacing them, do you?
As mentioned above, you need to clean them regularly.
The best way of doing it is by dusting them with a moistened piece of cloth. You should avoid soaking them in water as you will damage them.
Besides regularly cleaning them, you also should avoid dropping or hitting them with hard objects that would crack them or cause other forms of damage.
This calls for you to be cautious when mowing. When cutting grass, be careful you don’t run them over with the lawnmower.
Finally, you need to store them properly. One of the best places to put them is in a case.
If they don’t come with a case, put them in a safe place where they can’t get damaged.