As a construction worker, it’s paramount that you wear protective boots all the time. While there are many types of safety boots you can wear, some of the best are slip on work boots. To help you out, here are tips on how to buy the best slip on work boots:
Best slip on work boots you should go for
While there are many types of pull on work boots in the market you can go for, there are some that are better than others. Here are some of the best slip-on work boots that you should consider:
To provide you with comfort, the work boot has a gel-infused memory foam insole.
Pros of the work boot
Large enough thus ideal for you even if you have large feet
Very comfortable due to the foam feature
High-quality leather ensures that the boots last for a long time
Some people have complained that the boots are too large; therefore, you need to be cautious to ensure that you buy the right size.
Other people have complained that the boots are too tough at the ankle thus making them hard to break in.
The shoe is large enough thus you not only have an easy time putting it on, but you are also comfortable when wearing it.
While the shoes are soft toed, they provide you with optimum protection against falling objects and compression hazards.
Pros of the work boots
Made from high-quality leather
Slip-resistant outsole protects you from falling
They are wide thus most ideal for people with wide feet
They don’t feature an insole. Thus you have to buy one yourself
People with slim feet have complained of the boots being too wide for them
Take time to break them in
It’s made from high-quality leather thus you can be sure that it will last for a long time.
Since the work shoe has a steel toe, you can be sure that you will be protected from falling objects and other hazards.
Pros of the work boot
High-quality insoles that for additional comfort
Some people have complained that they require more time to be broken in
The slip on work boot is made from high-quality leather thus you can be sure that it will last for a long time.
To provide you with comfort, the work boot has a covered cushion insole.
In addition to this, the safety boot has a high performance, quick drying lining that increases your comfort levels.
When you wear the safety boot, it molds to your feet ensuring that you are as comfortable as possible.
The sole is made from rubber that is oil resistant. This gives you peace of mind that you won’t fall when working. You are also sure that the boot will last for a long time.
Pros of the work boots
While the boot is made from high-quality metal, it doesn’t require breaking in
Cons of the work boot
Some people have complained of the work boot is larger than expected. To avoid making this mistake, be cautious when purchasing to ensure that you order the perfect size for your feet.
The heel measures 1.5, ” and the shaft is low top from the arch. The boot is made from high-quality leather thus you can be sure it will be durable.
The sole is made from rubber making the boot not only durable, but also slip-resistant.
Pros of the work boot
Made by a reputable company
Some people have complained that the boot is larger than their regular sizes. You can circumvent this problem by ordering a safety boot that is a little bit smaller than your regular shoes.
These are the work boots to go for. They are made from synthetic materials making them very comfortable to wear. You also don’t need to break them in.
Many people love them as they are slip resistant thus an ideal choice when working in slippery areas.
Pros of the work boots
You can quickly widen them thus perfect for people with wide feet
Some people have complained that the sole tends to give in too fast; thus they have to buy new one after just a short while
The boots are made from high-quality leather thus you can be sure that they will last for a long time.
While the boots are made from leather, the soles are made from synthetic materials which can be a problem if you work in acidic or hot areas.
Pros of the work boot
Made from high quality, durable leather
Comfortable construction. They also have a removable insole that increases the comfort levels of the work shoe.
The heel is 1.5” providing you with enough support
Cons of the work boot
Some people have complained that they are too large for their feet. You can avoid this by carefully going through the sizing guideline and ensure that you are buying the right size for your feet.
Since the sole is synthetic, it tends to come apart when exposed to extremely harsh conditions.
Benefits of wearing the best slip on work boots
There are plenty of advantages that come with wearing the boots. Some of these benefits include:
- Comfort: Just like your regular shoe, when you wear a safety boot you are more comfortable when working. Your foot is protected from the environmental elements such as cold and heat. You also don’t worry about injuring yourself. To ensure that you get optimum comfort, purchase the most comfortable work boots that you can afford.
- Injury protection: As mentioned, you don’t have to worry about injuring yourself when you are wearing work boots. This is because the boots cover your entire foot. The construction site is frequented by a number of hazardous materials such as nails and chemicals. It’s also common for things to fall on your foot. For maximum protection wear shoes with a sturdy sole that protects you from things that you might step on. You also should protect yourself from things that might fall on your feet by wearing steel toe work boots. The slip on work boots don’t have laces; thus you don’t have injuries resulting from tripping on the laces.
- Accident protection: One of the most common accidents witnessed by workers is slipping and falling. This happens when you wear shoes with a slippery sole. Most of the work shoes have a slip resistant sole that protects you from slipping thus protecting you from accidents.
- More productivity: Since you are comfortable wearing the work shoe, you can concentrate on your project which increases your productivity.
- Money saving: When wearing the work shoes, you aren’t injured thus you don’t go to the emergency rooms. You also don’t miss work to nurse the injuries. This sees you not only save the money you would have spent in the hospital, but you also earn more as you don’t miss work.
- Ease of wear: Slip on work boots don’t have laces; therefore, you don’t struggle to put them on. Due to this, you have an easy time wearing the shoes. You also have an easy time removing the shoes at the end of the day.
Understanding the construction of slip on safety boots
Just like other shoes, slip on work boots have two main parts: the top and sole. The top is what encloses the foot and is made from a wide range of materials such as:
- Leather: This is the most common material in work boots. It’s loved by many people as it’s durable. Leather also molds to the shape of your foot thus providing you with a great fit.
- You can choose from full-grain leather or waterproof leather. Full-grain leather is durable and water resistant. Its main flaw is its thickness that makes the work shoe too heavy. It also restricts the shoe breathability.
- Waterproof leather is costlier, but the safety shoe made from it is waterproof, light, and has all the features you find from a work boot made from full-grain leather.
- Nylon: Slip on work boots made from a nylon upper aren’t as durable as their leather counterparts, but they are more lightweight and breathable. Since the material is soft, the work shoe is comfortable to wear.
- Rubber: Boots made from rubber are impervious to water and easy to clean. This makes them the best waterproof slip on work boots to go for. While they are great, their main flaw is that they can be cumbersome to walk in for a long time.
How to break in slip on work boots
When you buy slip on work boots, you shouldn’t wear them the next day to work as they will hurt your feet. One of the things you need to do is break the shoes in. Before you wear the boots to work where you will be standing the entire day, you should start by wearing them in the house for at least one hour every day. You should do this for at least a week.
By doing this, you allow the boot fibers to mold to your feet. You also get used to the feeling of the steel toe at the tip of your safety boot. To cushion your feet and also allow the fibers to stretch slightly, consider wearing a pair of thicker socks. If you live in the cold areas of the country, wearing the socks will also protect your toes from the cold of steel.
Before you wear the work shoe, bend the body back and forth a few times. This encourages the sole of the boot to be flexible thus making it more comfortable to wear.
If the socks don’t provide enough cushioning, consider placing an insole inside the shoe. The insole not only gives you extra cushioning that makes you more comfortable, but it also helps the sole to conform to your foot enabling you to wear it for extended periods of time.
To create a barrier between the areas of the shoe that might chafe against the body of the work boot, place moleskin on your foot. Some of the best areas to place the moleskin are heel and toes. The material is thin and easily adheres to the skin. You can find in any drug store.
By the end of the week, the work boots should be comfortable, and there shouldn’t be any chafing effects. At this time, you are ready to wear the boots to your job. To have an easy time wearing the boots, wear boots of the right size.
Tips to consider when purchasing the best slip-on work boots
To buy the right work shoes, you need to consider a number of tips. Some of these tips include:
- Extra protection: The reason you are wearing work shoes is that you want to protect your legs. The slip on work shoes you are looking to buy should provide you with extra protection in the toe area. Some of the best shoes you should go for are steel toed slip on work shoes.
- Adequate grip: As I have mentioned on this blog numerous times, it’s common for the workplace to be slippery. To avoid accidents, the shoes you are looking to buy should provide you with enough grip and traction.
- Comfort: To have an easy time wearing the work boots and be comfortable the entire day, the slip on shoes should be comfortable to wear. Comfortable work boots don’t put a strain on your legs thus you can stand the entire day. For the shoes to be comfortable, go for those that are of the right size. The units should also have an extra cushioning to support your feet thus reducing heel pain.
- Sturdy construction: The last thing you want is having to go to the shoe store after every few months to buy new shoes. To prevent this from happening, buy work shoes that have a sturdy construction. When making the purchase, take a look at the sewing technique. Also, take a look at the material used in the construction. When it comes to the sole, ensure that it’s made from rubber or any other durable material.
How to fit your slip on work boots
When many people are buying their slip on work boots, their biggest problem is buying the right fit. If you are one of these people, you are on the lucky side as we have golden tips that you should follow. Here are these tips:
- Try a smaller size: When you are in the shoe store, try on a shoe that is one size down from your regular shoe size. As you are slipping on the work boot, look out for a pop. If there is a pop, you are wearing a shoe with the right fit. If there is no pop, get a better fitting shoe.
- In step: Another thing you should pay attention to when buying the work boot is the instep. The boot should feel snug like a firm handshake—it shouldn’t pinch. If it does pinch, you are probably wearing a small shoe.
- Ball of the foot: When you wear the work shoe, the ball of your foot should line the widest part of the boot. You should take a little walk in the store to ensure that the boot flexes at the ball. You might feel a slippage in the heel, but don’t worry about it as it will go away as you get used to the boot.
Wearing the right work boot not only ensures that you are comfortable when working, but it also prevents the work boot from getting damaged.
Tips on how to take care of your slip on work boots
For your pull on work boots to last for a long time you need to take good care of them. The cool thing is that there are plenty of stuff you can do to make it possible. Some of the things you can do include:
- Clean the work boots: This is probably the essential thing you should do. At the end of your project, you should clean the work boots as soon you are home. Clean both the sole and other parts of the shoe and get rid of all the contaminants and dirt that might be there. When cleaning the shoes, take caution that you don’t clean them with solvents as you will damage them. You also shouldn’t force dry them using hairdryer, heater, or oven.
- Watch how you wear them: Since the shoes don’t have laces, they can have some resistance when putting them on. Plenty of work boot owners have reported damaging their shoes when putting them on. To avoid damaging your shoes, be careful when wearing them. As rule of thumb, don’t force the boots on.
- Use them with care: Just because the work shoes are tough doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be cautious when wearing them. While they can resist water damage, don’t put your feet in water if you can avoid doing so. You also shouldn’t expose the shoes to damaging chemicals.
- Avoid altering the shoes: Altering the pull-on work boots results to damage to the boots; therefore, avoid doing it. You shouldn’t add vent holes, mechanical stretching, or orthopedic inserts in the work shoes. In addition to causing damage to the work shoes, altering the boots also reduces their effectiveness. You also take them out of compliance with the relevant standards.
- Store the pull on boot properly: If you have a number of work boots or you are done with the project, you need to store the pull on work boots. Even if you aren’t using the shoes, they can get damaged if you don’t store them properly.
- For the boots to be great, store them in a cool, dry spot. If you aren’t planning on using them for months, you shouldn’t allow them to stay there unused for this long. At least once or twice a month, remove them from storage and walk in them. This prevents them from shrinking and deteriorating through the process of hydrolysis.
These are some of the best slip on work boots that you can go for. When buying the shoes, pay close attention to the materials used in making them. You also should consider the size of the work shoe. As you have seen, some of the work boots come in sizes larger than your regular shoes. In such a case, order shoes that are a little smaller than your regular shoes.
After buying the slip on work boots, you need to take good care of them for them to last for a long time. As mentioned above, you need to clean the work boots regularly. You also should refrain from altering the original design. When they develop a problem, fix them as soon as possible to prevent the damage from getting worse.